Communicating Matters provides an innovative, evidence based Speech and Language Therapy Service for schools and nurseries. This service can be commissioned by education and local authorities.
Communication underpins all learning. Early intervention provides the best outcomes for communication. A child with poor communication skills will struggle to achieve their learning potential, which will affect all areas of their education, leading to reduced opportunities.
We advocate a three tier approach to enable staff to support language development in schools.
- Whole setting approach to communication - maximising the communication environment for all pupils e.g. a communication audit, baseline language assessments of year groups, staff training
- Supporting children with weak or delayed language development to achieve age appropriate communication skills
- Working with children with specific Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)
Teachers should develop pupils’ spoken language, reading, writing and vocabulary as integral aspects of the teaching of every subject……. understanding the language provides access to the whole curriculum. The English language is an essential foundation for success in all subjects.
For children with SLCN we can provide:
- Detailed assessment of communication skills
- Detailed or summary report
- Written strategies, linked to the curriculum
- Therapy programmes – designed to be implemented by Teaching Assistants
- Direct therapy delivered by a Speech and Language Therapist or Therapy Instructor
- Bespoke training for teachers related to individual communication difficulties
A service which is in tune with the needs of the school. Through audits, whole school training and feedback ‘Speech Therapy Norfolk’ has worked with the school to improve speech, language and communication provision for all of our children. A sustainable and effective approach to whole school improvement!